Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wooden SD memory card case - A Hanukkah gift for my wife.

I have been wanting to try making a slightly more complex box, and the perfect opportunity arrived when my wife told me she was thinking about buying some shitty plastic memory card case.  I said "just wait, maybe Hanukkah Harry may bring you something you need"....he did.  Using some beautiful hardwood scraps salvaged from Scott's trash can, I put together this wooden memory card case.
Cherry and Red Oak Wooden Memory Card Case.
It took forever to figure out how the hell to make the slots since I don't have a table saw which would make this really really simple.  Using some scrap pallet wood, I finally realized that I could just cut two small strips of wood and then cut mirror-image half-slots in each strip with my miter saw and glue them together.
After that, it was pretty straightforward and fun.  I used only wood glue and simple tools and stain/finish combo.  I plan to wax it at some point, but not now.  I got this gift to my lovely wife on the very last night of Hanukkah.

Gotta burn-sign this one on the back.  This is the wood-man signature.
I love making boxes.  I love holding and using wooden boxes.  I love being able to make a box for anything.  Here are a couple pictures of the final product.  It can hold up to 8 SD memory cards, although I could easily make another to fit any number of them (for any of you reading this who are keen on hand-made wooden things).

Here is the wood memory card case, all tied up nice with a leather strap.
I still have some things to learn about glue, and its stain-repellant properties.  And because I was cutting such thin slivers on the miter saw, I was able to realize that its fence isn't perfectly square...in fact it is almost 1/8" off over all!  That is huge when you are making a small box like this.  Damn...Gotta fix that.  I basically had to use crappy but straight 1x2s as a guide.  It made cutting the small pieces a little more intimidating. All things considered though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in my basement workshop creating this piece and thinking each bit through.  Fun fun fun.  Feel free to order one from me.




1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I've been looking for. How do I order an SD memory card box from you? I couldn't find a link to do so.

    ReplyDelete